When you notice your young boy or brother voice is breaking, then the testosterone hormone has started to take effect.
The testosterone hormone is produced as early as seven weeks after birth, the amount of it, however, increases at puberty and is responsible for the development of male characteristics.
Though produced throughout one’s life, the amounts decrease with age, Females also produce this hormone but in small quantities.
Maybe you are wondering, why is testosterone necessary? Let us take a look at what testosterone does?
Causes of low testosterone levels, and therapies to help boost the testosterone levels.
What Does Testosterone do? Know The Reality
Why is it necessary for the body?
Testosterone is a vital hormone and is responsible for several functions in a man’s body among them include;
- Responsible for sex drive.
The increased release of testosterone helps in the growth of testicles, the penis, and the pubic hair, in turn, promoting sexual desire and subsequently promoting a healthy sex life.
People with low levels of it have low libido and erectile dysfunction, and this may affect one’s self-esteem and in some cases leads to severe depression.
- Enables fertility.
Proper production of testosterone, as mentioned above, leads to the growth of testis which leads to the creation of sperms responsible for conception.
Low levels of testosterone means slow growth of testicles, leading to the formation of immature or weak sperms.
- Growth of hair.
When transitioning from childhood to adulthood, one of the distinctive feature is presence of hair on the armpits, the chest, legs and arms. The absence of testosterone may lead to the loss of already existing hair.
It Increases Muscle Size And Strength
Testosterone stimulates the production of neurotransmitters, which lead to the growth of muscle tissues.
Additionally, it helps in the breakdown of proteins which is caused by the hormone interacting with the nuclear receptors — in turn, increasing the growth of muscles.
This is why men seeking to increase their muscles opt for testosterone replacement therapy.
Also, testosterone helps in increasing bone mass, which stimulates the production of more red blood cells.
Absence or low levels of this hormone may lead to anaemia and bone fractures.
- Testosterone helps in proper fat distribution.
The testosterone hormone increases metabolism, which increases one’s activity level, subsequently promoting weight loss by burning the extra fats.
- Testosterone influence certain personality traits.
The testosterone hormone helps to keep the central nervous system in check by sending messages through the hormones released.
Testosterone is responsible for traits such as dominance, self-esteem, aggression, competitiveness, to mention a few.
Once the brain produces the needed amount of testosterone, one also gains good mental health.
Low levels of testosterone may lead to sadness, low concentration, lack of motivation and this may, as a result, lead to depression.
Making testosterone an essential component in balancing and influencing certain traits.
However, testosterone is not the only influencer of one’s personality, factors such as upbringing may also shape one’s beliefs and personal characteristics.
- Helps in proper production and circulation of blood.
Testosterone communicates to the bone marrow to produce more red blood cells, which in turn lead to adequate production of blood.
Studies have also shown that testosterone has a positive impact on heart health, cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
Remedies for Low Testosterone Levels
Now that you understand the need for the testosterone hormone, there are several medications to help boost those low levels.
- Tablets, this is one of the most popular testosterone replacement therapy. The tablets are easily found and safe if you have young ones in the house.
Safety leads us to the next treatment.
- Creams, you apply the cream or gel on the skin, this method, however, can affect others if one comes into contact with the applied areas.
- For young ones, it may lead to early puberty; for women, this hormone may affect the skin by increasing acne.
- To avoid these effects on your household, take caution while applying.
- Injections and implants, this is also another common medication for low testosterone, the injection transmits the medication directly to the bloodstreams.
- Change in diet, to increase testosterone levels consume foods with vitamin D.
- Also, avoid processed and refined foods that may lead to weight gain. As earlier on mentioned, low levels of testosterone lead to accumulation of unnecessary body fats.
- Also, another natural yet effective method to increase those testosterone levels is adequate sleep and rest.
- Research has shown a good night sleep helps in the production of hormones that help to balance testosterone.
Signs of Low Testosterone Levels
- Low libido.
- Depression, due to self-esteem issues and mood changes.
- Fatigue, this may be caused by reduced blood levels.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Increased body fat.
- Fragile bones, if you notice that easy physical activities lead to bone fractures, then it is time to seek medical attention.
Factors That Affect the Production of it
Despite age, there are other health factors that affect the production of testosterone, they include;
- Diabetes type II.
- Kidney disease.
- Inflammation on the testes.
- Treatments, such as opioid.
- A head injury that affects the pituitary gland.
Testosterone is a vital hormone in the male body by reducing cardiovascular diseases and creating emotional and mental stability.
It is also critical for men to have regular prostate cancer screening, recent research has shown close associations between testosterone levels and prostate cancer.
And though the testosterone levels decrease with age, this decrease is normal and does not cause any physical changes.
Testosterone levels can also be raised using natural methods, thus necessary to consider natural options.
This is because testosterone supplements can cause health complications.
So before starting any treatment, it is important to have a physician check the severity of the condition, this will help prevent abusing the drugs.
Finally, to achieve overall health, rest, eat a balanced diet, stay hydrated and most importantly exercise.
Also Read –
Other Sources –