Though not in huge amounts, women also produce testosterone. What does testosterone do in females?
Testosterone in women helps the body to run smoothly by fuelling energy levels, balancing one’s mood as well as sex drive.
Studies have shown that levels of testosterone in women decrease between the ages of 20 and 40,
A severe decrease of this hormone in women is linked to lower libido, fatigue and weak bones that may lead to fractures.
A popular remedy for low testosterone levels in women is the patch. High Testosterone Face Know Myth and Reality
What Do High Levels of Testosterone Do in Female?
What does testosterone do in females? On the other hand, high levels of testosterone may cause the polycystic ovarian syndrome, PCOS.
Research by the department of health and human services on women’s health have revealed about 10% of women in the childbearing age suffer from PCOS.
Some of the common effects of poly-cystic ovarian syndrome include:
- Excess hair growth, this condition can lead to the growth of hair on the chest, back and even toes.
- PCOS is linked in infertility; women with high amounts of testosterone have a higher risk of experiencing infertility.
- May cause ovarian cysts, PCOS prevents the release of eggs, which subsequently leads to the fusion of immature ovarian follicles, leading to the formation of cysts.
- High amounts of testosterone increase acne and dark spots on the skin.
- Missed and irregular periods.
- Women with PCOS are at a higher risk of miscarriages.
- High amounts of testosterone increase the risk of heart diseases, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels and diabetes due to insulin resistance.
And though testosterone has several advantages in the female body, it is essential to avoid replacement therapy that may increase these levels to abnormal amounts.
However, for the proper functioning of the body, small amounts of this hormone are necessary.
Here Are a Few Uses of The Testosterone Hormone in Women.
What does testosterone do in females? Testosterone Boosters Pros and Cons Secrets
- Helps in sex drive, this hormone works by increasing desire and fantasy.
- Also, testosterone in women increases one’s energy level, which is necessary for healthy sex life.
In case of any unusual or rapid male physical changes in women, it is crucial to seek medical attention to ensure these levels are balanced.
- Testosterone in women helps to strengthen the bones, testosterone in women helps to increase bone mass, in turn increasing the bone’s strength.
Studies have also shown that for proper bone development, it is important for women to have both estrogen and testosterone.
- Boosts one’s cognitive health, studies have revealed women with Alzheimer’s record a lower amount of both testosterone and estrogen.
In other research, normal testosterone levels in women were seen to increase one’s ability and productivity.
This is due to increased brain development.
Now that you have a clear understanding of the uses of testosterone in women and adverse effects of testosterone in women.
Signs of Low Testosterone Levels in Women
What does testosterone do in females? Low testosterone causes
It is clearer, there is a need for women to have normal amounts of testosterone, and maybe the next concern is, when do I know my testosterone levels are low?
Below is a list of things you should look out for, to find out whether your testosterone hormone levels are normal.
- Cases of infertility, if you have been trying to conceive with no success then its time to seek medical attention for a testosterone check.
- Sex disorders, if you notice reduced sex desire, then it may be low amounts of testosterone. However, for an accurate diagnosis, it is always advisable to visit the doctor. Low levels of testosterone may not always cause low libido, thus essential to visit a doctor.
- Heart-related illnesses, as earlier on mentioned, low amounts of testosterone in women may increase the risk of high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure, which are linked with heart diseases.
- Bone fractures, if you notice, you always get tired after a workout, and your joints are in pain. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention.
- Reduced cognitive function, for women approaching menopause, it is essential to have your testosterone levels checked. However, if you are yet to get your testosterone hormone levels checked, look out for signs such as Alzheimer’s or low productivity or even moodiness.
- Low levels of testosterone are linked with metabolic syndrome, metabolic syndrome factors in several health conditions that may, in the long run, become sever. Some sign of metabolic syndrome includes; high sugar levels, stroke, diabetes, and may also increase the risk of unhealthy weight gain around the waist.
It is important to note; certain health conditions occur due to our lifestyle, genes or lack of certain nutrients.
Also, different body types, respond differently to different therapy options, thus advisable to always seek medical attention if you suspect any changes.
For instance, though low amount of testosterone may cause infertility other health condition not related to testosterone levels may also influence infertility.
There are several replacement testosterone methods; the treatment options have increased and can even be sold over the counter.
To avoid severe adverse effects, always get a go ahead from the doctor.
And if you notice any negative changes during the medication, seek for proper guidance.
How to Boost Testosterone Levels in Women.
- Rest and adequate sleep, sleep helps to balance the number of hormones produced in the body. It is also advisable to sleep for about 7 to 8 hours each night.
- Eating a balanced diet, what we eat not only plays a huge part in our overall health, it also plays a crucial role in factors such as hormone levels. There are certain foods that help in the normal production of the hormones.
- Regular exercises, in addition to rest and sleep, proper eating habits. Another important natural remedy to ensure the testosterone levels in women are balanced is by regular exercise.
The good thing about exercise is you do not need to visit the gym you can always start at the comfort of your house and add to your routine each day.
Exercise will help increase your strength and increase blood flow to the brain.