What Does Estrogen Do: Women have two sex hormones, but estrogen is responsible for the development of feminine physical features. Men also have estrogen but in small amounts.
It is produced in the ovaries at puberty and plays a crucial part not only in the development of female features but medication as well. Know more about women’s health.
Understanding Production of Estrogen
The ovaries produce estrogen at puberty, and this release is marked by the first menstrual cycle of a teenage girl.
After the first menstrual cycle, the production of estrogen increases each month, but the levels of it soon decrease after ovulation.
The production of the potent it decreases with age, and at menopause, a woman now produces a weaker version of the estrogen hormone called the estrone.
This piece shares insights on the types of it, the work of it in the body and medical uses as well as negative effects of it as a form of treatment.
Estrogen Hormone Types
To better understand it let us start by breaking down hormones in the estrogen family.
Estradiol is the strongest female hormone and is thought to cause complications such as endometriosis, fibroids, or forms of cancer that affect the female productive system, the ovaries produce estradiol hormone.
Estriol is the weakest type of estrogen hormone, this hormone is a waste product formed after the body uses estradiol.
Estriol levels are higher during pregnancy and cannot be converted to estradiol or estrone.
Estrone, this type of hormone is mostly found in women approaching or experiencing menopause, and it is weaker compared to estradiol. Estrone can be converted into estradiol or estrone.
What Does Estrogen do in The Female Body?
- Responsible for the growth of breast at puberty, it also helps in the coloration of the nipple, and later in life stops the flow of milk after an infant stops breastfeeding.
- Estrogen helps in the growth of the vagina; normal it levels help in the thickening of vaginal walls, production of vaginal acidity, which prevents the risk of infections and also aids in lubrication of the vagina.
- Helps in the growth of fallopian tubes, estrogen is responsible for the growth of the fallopian tubes, development of a thicker muscular wall around the tunes and also enhances contractions that aid in the transportation of the eggs and sperms during fertilization.
Estrogen Influences The Expansion Of The Pelvis
- Helps in the permanent growth of hair in the body, normal amounts of it help in the normal growth of pubic hair, which helps to protect the skin from external bacteria, in turn reducing the risk of bacterial infections.
- Stimulates muscle growth around the uterus, enhancing blood flow, and growth of mucous membrane that helps in lining the uterus.
- Production of estrogen also helps in the development of contraction during childbirth and gets rid of dead tissues during and after menstruation.
- Estrogen increases fat storage in the body, mainly around the hips and thighs making women curvier.
- Have you ever wondered why men have a deeper voice than women, the answer is estrogen.
- it production makes the voice box smaller and cords shorter, giving women the high pitched voice.
- it also helps in reduced acne among women; this is because it reduces the activity of glands around the skin responsible for oily substances.
- Estrogen enhances the production of feel-good hormones, production of it regulates part of the brain that is responsible for sexual growth.
- Balances cholesterol levels in the liver, in turn preventing heart-related diseases.
Foods That Affect Estrogen Levels
Soy proteins, wine, nuts, berries, and grains. The effects of these foods on hormone levels differ.
In some cases, the estrogen levels may increase while in some the estrogen levels decrease.
Research has however shown that these foods do not have any adverse effect on one’s health, as a matter of fact, scientists believe that consuming these foods may reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer as well as reduce menopause symptoms such as hot flashes.
Medical Uses of Estrogen-What Does Estrogen Do?
It is used in birth control pills, used as a hormone replacement therapy and bio-identical hormone replacement therapy for women approaching or already in the menopause stage.
In the birth control pills.
Birth control pills are popular across the globe, as they have minimal side effects. The tablets contain about 20 to 50 micrograms.
Apart from helping in birth control, estrogen birth control pills are also used to reduce severe menstrual cramping.
- Helps to regulate irregular cycles.
- Reduces the risk of ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer.
- These pills also reduce menopausal symptoms.
How Estrogen Birth Control Pills Work
A decrease in the production of follicles a stimulant hormone. Stops ovulation. May prevent or reduce bleeding, during the menstrual period.
Some of the adverse effects experienced from estrogen birth control pills include;
- Breast tenderness.
- Reduced libido.
- Irregular bleeding.
- Cardiovascular problems.
- Changes in one weight.
- Headaches and blood clots.
Prolonged use of birth control pills has been linked to breast cancer, consult with a doctor, and in case of any changes, be sure to seek medical attention immediately. Also, each body type is different and the effects may differ.
Estrogen as a hormone replacement therapy
During menopause, women experience severe symptoms, which may affect their productivity, mood, or even health. To reduce the severe menopause symptoms, Hormone replacement therapy is used.
This form of treatment helps to bring hormone levels to normal levels. These medications come in various forms; you can use a cream, pills, injections, a vaginal cream, a ring, or a patch.
The medication works by reducing symptoms such as;
- Hot flushes.
- Reduces moodiness and anxiety.
- Increases libido.
- Reduces vaginal dryness, in turn, preventing painful intercourse.
It plays a crucial part in the development of female characteristics. If you notice your young one is behind on some of the female developments, it is essential to seek medical assistance.
And remember, though estrogen is associated with many benefits to the body, consider natural methods, exercise regularly and most importantly watch what you eat.
- 14 Positive Facts on Coronavirus: Do you know?
- Coronavirus: What is Covid-19? Symptoms, Risk, Treatments, and Relief
- After Covid-19, Hantavirus is The Next Deadly Virus in China
- How to survive a Coronavirus Lockdown? 9 Best Ways
- Coronavirus in Italy Warns The World – Outbreak and The Current Situation in Italy
- Isolation Vs Quarantine: What should I go for?