Sweet potato is an overlooked, nutritious vegetable! Of course, it is delicious. What not to love, when it is half potato! Okay, jokes apart!
Sweet potato calories and sweet potato benefits.
Sweet potato is certainly a nutrient-packed vegetable. You can cook it in multiple ways and make something delicious from sweet to savory! Now, the question pops!
Whether or not you are extremely health conscious and look upon food calories list it is essential to dig into the information that details about vegetable calories.
Let us see more information about it, how to cook the sweet potato and some sweet potato with caloric specific sweet potato recipes.
- Is Sweet Potato Good for Weight Loss?- 5 Amazing Resouces
- How Many Calories to Lose Weight? 5 Best Tips
- 7 Foods That Lower Testosterone – The Ultimate Tips
- 1 Sweet Potato Calories and Sweet Potato Nutrition
- 2 Why Should You Eat Sweet Potato?
- 3 Calorie and Nutritional Chart
- 4 French Fries Calories Vs Calories in Sweet Potato Fries
- 5 Sweet Potato Calories of Various Sweet Potato recipes
- 6 Medium Sized
- 7 Baked Sweet Potato
- 8 Sweet Potato Chips Calories
- 9 Sweet Potato Soup Calories
- 10 Sweet Potato Mash Calories
- 11 Sweet Potato Pie Calories
- 12 Sweet Potato Puff Calories
- 13 Sweet Potato Roasted Calories
- 14 How to Cook Low Sweet Potato – Tips
- 15 Conclusion
- 16 Share this:
- 17 Related
Sweet Potato Calories and Sweet Potato Nutrition
Let us have brief information about the sweet potato.
Sweet potato can be literally translated into nutritious and delicious. A delicious vegetable, loaded with vitamins and micronutrients. Despite, being a potato, sweet potatoes are not very much closer to the white potatoes.
Yet you can make delicious sweet potato chips, sweet potato crisp, sweet potato chocolate balls, sweet potato fries, and many such versatile recipes.
Sweet potatoes belong to morning glory family of vegetables. It grows from the group of flowering plants. It is a root vegetable but not like white potatoes. So, you need to worry about it as high calories vegetable.
It varies with the color of the sweet potatoes. The most common color of the sweet potato is orange and purple varieties. Orange sweet potatoes are grown more in the United States. In India, purple-shaded sweet potatoes are common. You can also find the pink, white and yellow colored sweet potatoes.
Yellow and orange colored fruits and vegetables are rich in Vitamin A. The same applies to sweet potatoes. Pink and purple sweet potatoes contain a high amount of antioxidants.
*People often confuse sweet potato with yam. Indeed, sweet potatoes are sweeter than yam.
Why Should You Eat Sweet Potato?
Let’s take a quick look at the top reasons why should you eat sweet potato.
- Nutritious and delicious
- Versatile vegetable – unleash your creativity without boosting it
- Easily available in every part of the world (not a demography specific vegetable)
- Available throughout the year, definitely not a seasonal food.
- Easy to cook in many ways – fries, bake, crisp, mash, boil, soup, salad and many more
- Gluten-free root vegetable
- Packed with Vitamin A
- Delicious replacement for white potatoes
- A fat-free, transfat free, sodium free and cholesterol free vegetable
- Sweet potatoes are inexpensive.
Calorie and Nutritional Chart
Here is the chart of sweet potato along with the caloric value.
They in one sweet potato which weighs 100 grams is 86!
Nutrition Facts: Sweet Potatoes, Raw — 100 grams
French Fries Calories Vs Calories in Sweet Potato Fries
We have already mentioned, you can cook a variety of recipes with sweet potato without bothering about sweet potato calories. Obviously, you can make the children eat the sweet potato by turning into sweet potato chips or sweet potato crisps.
When it comes to chips or fries, you tend to think of aspects.
- French fries
- Fries are high in calories
French fries, the most delicious snacks across the globe, also have a bad reputation for the transfat and high calories. Although potatoes contain fiber and potassium, they are just bad being high caloric food.
In addition, the sodium level in French fries also puts you into trouble. Serving 3 ounces of white potato fries contains 180 calories with more fat and more sodium.
On the other hand, fries sweet potato are also more or less close to the French fries. However, you get more antioxidants, fiber, and potassium. It is also less in carbs. Serving 3 ounces of sweet potato fries contain 140 calories, less fat and less sodium. You can go with fried sweet potato for fewer calorie consumption without affecting your taste buds.
Sweet Potato Calories of Various Sweet Potato recipes
As stated early, the caloric value of any vegetable varies with how you cook. Even if you cook healthy produce in fats, it becomes high caloric food. Here is the list of various delicious sweet potato recipes and the respective it.
1 medium sweet potato contains 115 calories
Baked Sweet Potato
103 calories, which has the highest vitamin A. It is free from cholesterol, fat, sodium and saturated fat.
Sweet Potato Chips Calories
1 Oz sweet potato chips contain 151 calories, where 83 calories you derive are from fat.
Sweet Potato Soup Calories
150 gram of sweet potato soup contains 75 calories, where you get 49 calories from fat. It is literally a low-calorie food.
Sweet Potato Mash Calories
250 gram of sweet potato mash contains 360 calories, where you get 150 calories from fat. It conations highest amount of Vitamin A and serves as a good source of fiber.
Sweet Potato Pie Calories
75 grams of sweet potato pie contains 190 calories, where you get half of the calories from fat. It is rich in vitamin A and contains 201% vitamin A.
*The way you cook sweet potato pie may include trans fat, which makes sweet potato calories more.
Sweet Potato Puff Calories
125 grams of sweet potato puff contains 200 calories, where you get 69 calories from fat.
Sweet Potato Roasted Calories
125 grams of sweet potato puff contains 185 calories, where you get 85 calories from fat.
They become higher when you roast and fry. It also reduces the value of vitamin A. Interestingly; there is a nutritious and low-calorie sweet potato recipe. They are low when you eat in the form of sweet potato starch noodles. One serving sweet potato starchy noodles consist of 95 calories which are a low-calorie food.
How to Cook Low Sweet Potato – Tips
You can cook low sweet potato calories recipes without giving it a spike on caloric value. Grill it, boil it, puree it, toast it, roast it, and make it not fried ideally.
Sweet potato generally goes well with many recipes with or without other major ingredients. You can toss low sweet potato calories into protein muffins, bread, and salads. You can make it sweeter or savory, adding appropriate spices. Adding cinnamon and nutmeg elevates the sweet flavor profile of the sweet potato mash.
To low-calorie sweet potato recipes, here are a few ideas.
- Throw your sweet potatoes into the microwave. Sweet potato chips microwave is a low-calorie delicious snack. You can bake with the skin and will be delicious.
- Sweet potato mash can be made delicious with adding some herbs like rosemary, cinnamon and orange juice for sweetness. For a savory touch, adding parmesan makes low sweet potato calories spicy recipe.
- Fried sweet potato chips aka sweet potato French fry in the microwave also makes it low. Bake in high heat along with spices and herbs as you desire.
- Boil some sweet potatoes and add honey. Eat it hot, a delicious low-calorie breakfast is ready. To give a savory twist, add salt, chili flakes, and pepper, low-calorie sweet potato breakfast is ready.
- 32 Foods That Burn Belly Fat Fast- You Should Eat
- What Exercise Burns the Most Belly Fat- 7 Fastest Weight Loss Exercises
- How Many Calories in an Egg white- Egg White Nutrition
You can easily incorporate sweet potatoes in any foods you eat. Adding the spices and herbs makes it more delicious and healthy.
If you think, is eating sweet potato everyday good, yes you can. If you wish to lose weight, eat more nutritious foods and get more fiber, you add a healthy option to your everyday foods.
How you cook the sweet potato and what you add to sweet potato makes it low or high calorie as it applies. They are not very high. Since it is rich in nutrients, you can add sweet potato in your diet every alternative day.
Thank you so much for reading. For more health information you can check out the link or visit the website- gohealthline.com
STAY HEALTHY STAY HAPPY!!!