Do you enjoy bananas and wish they could be part of your everyday meal? How Many Calories Are in a Banana?
Then there are several things you need to know to achieve a healthy lifestyle but still enjoy this fruit and one crucial aspect to look into is the number of calories in a banana.
However, before we delve into the number of calories in a banana, let’s take a look at some of the different banana types.
The health benefits of eating a banana, dishes, and snacks you can try out, when not to eat a banana and factors to consider before buying bananas.
1 Banana Calories
One banana calories, one banana contains 150 calories.
- One medium banana has 150 calories
- Medium size 7″ – 8″
Types of Bananas
Bananas come in different shapes and sizes. Also, different banana types thrive in different climate areas.
1. Cavendish banana.
This is one of the most common types. The Cavendish banana is long and once ripe it turns yellow with a few brown spots.
This banana is mostly used to make smoothies or banana bread.
2. Candy apple banana.
The candy apple banana is lovely; hence, the name apple, this banana thrives in wet areas and is common in Hawaii.
The apple banana can be used to prepare a fruit salad as well as desserts.
3. The lady finger’s banana.
The lady finger’s banana is similar to the Cavendish banana but is sweeter. This type of banana is a good snack option for the kids.
4. Red bananas.
Unlike other bananas that turn yellow after ripening, the red bananas as the name suggests are red, and the colour is not the only thing that makes the red bananas unique, the red bananas can be eaten as a snack and can also be incorporated in main dishes.
5. Cooking bananas.
The cooking bananas popularly known as the plantains are best served when cooked.
Unlike the other types of bananas, the plantains can be roasted, boiled or even fried.
These bananas are also used in making banana crisps, and banana pancakes.
The cooking bananas are not left to ripen as ripening changes the taste and texture of the banana.
How Many Carbs in a Banana?
Check -How many carbs in a banana? It is important to know how many carbs in a banana? Everybody knows banana is a healthy fruit. It contains many nutrients like calories, fat, carbs and more.
- 23g carbs in one banana
- weight 100g
The Health Benefits of Eating Bananas
Now that we know the various banana types, here are a few reasons you should consider adding bananas into your diet. Do you know “How Many Calories Are in a Banana?” You have learnt above.
High fibre content.
Bananas are filled with both insoluble and soluble fibre, the soluble fibre slows down digestion making one feel fuller for longer periods.
To avoid overfeeding, it is essential to include banana, banana bread or even a banana muffing fruits for breakfast.
Bananas have both sweet and sour components; the sour element triggers the body to produce digestive juices, which in turn ease the digestion.
Bananas are filled with nutrients.
Bananas contain more than five vital minerals and vitamins, they include; potassium, iron, manganese, calcium, B6, folate, magnesium, and riboflavin. These nutrients help in keeping the body healthy and functioning properly.
Helps to Fight Anaemia
Anaemia is a result or few red blood cells and causes fatigue, paleness and shortness of breath.
Bananas have high contents of iron, thus suitable for those suffering from anaemia.
Improved heart health.
Research by the University of Leeds has shown foods high in fiber content promote cardiovascular health and reduces the risk of coronary heart disease.
Helps to control blood pressure.
Salt plays a big part in increasing blood pressure, to control this it is crucial to eat meals with small contents of salt.
Bananas contain small contents of salt and also contain potassium, which helps in maintaining this condition.
However, before making bananas a daily routine, it is essential to consult with your doctor.
The Number of Calories in a Banana
A medium-sized banana contains approximately 105 calories. However, different sizes vary in the number of calories.
- a small banana less than 6 inches and about 80 grams contains about 70 calories,
- a banana weighing about 100 grams contains 90 calories.
- A medium-sized banana measuring 8 inches and about 120 grams contains approximately 106 calories,
- a large banana about 9 inches and measuring 135 grams contains about 120 calories,
- an extra-large banana measuring 9 inches or more contains about 135 calories.
For a sliced banana weighing 150 grams contains 135 calories, one mashed banana one cup weigh around 230 grams and contain 200 calories.
Carb Contents in a Banana
Bananas have high contents of carbs and water if you are watching carbs intake, here are some of the carb amounts in the various bananas sizes.
- For a small banana, less than 6 inches the carb content is about 19 grams,
- a 7-inch banana contains about 23 grams of carbs.
- A medium banana about 8 inches has 27 grams of carbs,
- a 9 inches banana contains about 31 grams
- while an extra-large banana will contain about 35 grams of carbs
Additionally, a standard size banana contains 2 to 4 grams of fibre, and this varies in size.
Also, the ripeness of a banana may affect the number of carbs in a banana.
Want to add banana meals to your menu, here are a few meals you can try out.
- Banana chips, this is an excellent snack to enjoy with your loved ones, it is also easy to make.
- Frozen banana truffles, try this mouth-watering snack. This is an enjoyable evening snack for your young ones,
- Banana bread is a popular dessert and easy to make; another popular dish is the banana muffins. The banana muffin is a good breakfast alternative as well as an evening snack. As earlier on mentioned bananas are good for breakfast as they keep you filled full for a longer time preventing snacking, which may lead to intake of excess calories.
- Banana smoothie, banana smoothies are popular and a favourite among many. Want to enjoy the natural sweetness. Then get yourself that banana smoothies, they are also easy to make and take up little time.
- Fruit salads, fruit salads are an excellent accompaniment in a meal and can be eaten at any time of the day, so why not add a few slices of banana to your fruit salad.
- For some main dishes, make yourself chicken curry with bananas, you can also replace the chicken with some sweet potatoes and chicken peas. This meal is not only delicious but is also good for your health.
- The banana risotto, this Italian dish will leave your taste buds yearning for more, the banana risotto has that creamy and sweet feel.
- Shrimp with banana and peas, this dish is filled with health benefits for your heart with shrimp, which has the healthy omega nine fatty oils and potassium from the banana, ensuring a strong cardiovascular system.
Bananas provide a variety of options as one can enjoy a snack, a breakfast meal, a drink and even the main dish, banana dishes are readily available as well as easy to make.
Do not be left out be sure to enjoy nature best gift and check out some banana recipes.
When Not to Eat a Banana?
Though good for your health, it is not healthy to eat a banana on an empty stomach, the magnesium in the banana may lead to heart issues, thus advisable to have a proper meal then finish off with a banana.
Avoid too many bananas if you have a kidney issue, bananas contain potassium which can be harmful to the kidney if consumed in large amounts.
Avoid bananas you regularly experience migraines; people who often experience migraines are advised to eat no more than half a banana.
People allergic to bananas, if after eating a banana you experience itching, swelling in the mouth or throat also if you experience wheezing or hives, then you should avoid bananas.
Another common effect of eating too many bananas is bloating. Bananas contain high amounts of fibre, which can lead to bloating.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Bananas
- Do you want bananas as a snack or prepare a main dish? This will help you select the best bananas, for making the main dish consider the cooking banana or plantain.
- If you are buying bananas to last you for the week, then purchase firm ones that will ripen within the set time. Selecting firm bananas helps to prevent over-ripened bananas.
- Buy bananas in small amounts, since bananas ripen fast some will not remain fresh. Important tip. Once you notice that the peels have more spots than others, eat them first as these are prone to spoiling.
- Avoid storing bananas in the fridge.
Though bananas are filled with nutrients and offer various health benefits, it is essential to eat with moderation and consider the number of calories and carbs in a banana.
It is also essential to consult with your physician before making any changes in your diet.
Next time you prepare that banana dish, snack or drink factor in the number of calories and carbs in a banana.
Also, if you want to have energy and strength in your next gym session, swimming or a hike with friends, do not forget to include that banana in your breakfast for a productive and healthy day.
- How to Lose Belly Fat Overnight 2020? 9 Simple Tips
- How to Remove Tonsil Stones You Can’t See 2020? 9 Best Foods
- How Many Calories in Avocado Toast? 7 Health Benefits
- Chrissy Metz Weight Loss Story 2020: How She Lost 100 Pounds?
- How Much Juice in One Lemon: 9 Benefits
- 17 Best Foods to Reduce Bloating Quickly 2020