Cold sores and their occurrence: We often notice blisters around the mouth during fever. These are commonly known as cold sores. They develop around the lips and are filled with fluid. Do not confuse them with the name.
They do not occur because of the cold you catch. Instead, they are an effect of a virus. The herpes simplex virus (HISV) is very contagious and might be found if one has close physical interactions with one another.
How Long do Cold Sores Last
Therefore, the patient that experiences these cold sores should not be sharing any utensils or personal belonging, even when they sore are not physically visible. Also, try to avoid physical touches such as kissing at least till when the cold sores are not contagious anymore.
The sad part is that these sores do not have any proper medications. Also, they are reversed time by time. These little clusters of blisters form on the lip area as well as the genital areas. Which makes it contagious during sexual interactions. Whereas these blisters after bursting form a crust in that place.
The good part is they don’t leave behind any scar or mark. The medications make them heal faster. If proper medication is taken, it might take around 3 to 4 weeks to heal properly. However, these can be very painful. To prevent them from causing much pain, one should treat them in the earliest stage.
In sporadic cases, it is found to expand towards the eyes, which may cause blindness as well. Especially the ones with a weak immune system are the ones that can be harshly affected by the herpes virus. These sores may also be caused near the nose area and on the cheeks.
Cold sores Symptoms
There are some prevalent symptoms that, if diagnosed early, may reduce the chances of any further damage.
- One may experience fever
- A sore and itchy throat
- Headaches and muscle aches might be a problem
These may be mentioned as the symptoms of the time breakouts. These blisters might last for a few days. But they usually reoccur at the same spot.
The cold sore has a few stages that it follows
Must Check – Cold Sore Stages Pictures:
- At first, people may feel burning or itching in the area. This may last a day or more. This is before a cluster starts building up in the lip area.
- Then these clusters are made up of small blisters filled with fluid.
- These blisters, in the end, burst out the fluid and turn into crusts.
These should be treated well and on time as they might lead to severe issues in the future. They heal quickly by medicines and usually take 9 to 10 to improve on their own.
People who already inhabit this viral disease should try to avoid contact with people s that it is not passed on to another.
They should try to be very careful around the ones with a weak immune system, such as the babies and aged ones, and also the ones with aids and cancer as they are more prone to catching the disease quickly.
HSV has no cure yet. One gets to live with the virus for the whole life. But the risks can be managed by taking proper medicine and also avoid physical contact until when the sore is no longer contagious.
Cold Sores Treatment
Cold sore Treatment: There are some simple ways to prevent these cold sores. People who frequently get them can refer to a proper doctor and take antiviral medicines. This may limit the reoccurrence of the lesions, at least. Other than that, it is said to avoid things that tend to trigger the cold sore.
- Try to stress less over stuff. This is regarded as the first and yet the most critical prevention throughout the internet.
- Keep yourself neat and sanitized. Frequently wash your hands and stay hydrated.
- Make sure you keep a distance from the sick ones. You never know what kind of infection or virus they might be carrying.
- Strictly prohibit yourself from physical interactions with ones who already have cold sores.
- Try keeping your plates and utensils to eat and, also try not to share your makeup brushes with others as they are full of germs.
- Keep a separate towel and razor.
- The most crucial point is not to touch the sore, this way, the bacteria are easily spread to other places, and we would never like that to happen.
Contagious or not?
The cold sores are very contagious. They are carried from one person to another through a close interaction or physical touch even. The fluid doesn’t need to come out to be contagious. They are contagious, even when one can not see them. It does not matter if you can see the blisters or not. Try being extra careful with the babies, avoid any physical contact with them.
It has been studied that there is a high chance of them being more contagious at the early stage. That is the time when they do not appear physically but cause a tingling or burning sensation.
The answer to the question, when are cold sores not contagious anymore? It is that it is proved to be less or not infectious any longer when the blister turns into a scab, and the crust is removed.
This is the last stage of the cold sore. This is hoe the cold sore leaves. Click here to know more about Cold sore vs pimples.