Calories in turkey breast: With the increased consumption of turkey over the years, new cooking techniques have come up as well as recipes.
And though delicious and readily available, it is essential to know how many calories are in turkey breast.
Knowing how many calories you consume each day will not only help you stay healthy but will prevent unhealthy weight gain.
How Many Calories in Turkey Breast?
The number of calories in turkey breast vary depending on several factors, cooking method. Does the meat have skin or not, part of the meat as lean parts of this hen contain fewer calories.
Turkey, with the skin, also has a higher number of calories compared to meat without skin.
A turkey breast without the skin weighing about 4 ounces contains about 118 calories, with 1.88 grams fat, 4.77 grams carbs, and 19.36 grams proteins.
Turkey breast weighing 4 ounces contains about 178 calories with 7.96 grams fats and 24.82 grams protein.
The cooking method also plays a huge role in the number of calories in foods, for instance,
When roasted the turkey breast weighing 4 ounces contains 153 calories. This increase is due to the oil used to make the meat moist.
However, to control the number of calories in any cooked meat use healthy oil such as olive oil or use a little amount as the meat also contains natural oils.
- It contains proteins that help in the repair of wounds.
- It contains potassium, which helps in the absorption of minerals into the body.
- Potassium is also an essential nutrient when it comes to heart health, preventing stroke, liver, and kidney diseases.
- Strengthens bones and teeth, turkey contains phosphorus, which helps in the formation and strengthening of bones in the body preventing bone fractures.
- It contains iron, which promotes the production of red blood cells, which in turn prevents the risk of anemia.
- It contains the good cholesterol which helps to balance cholesterol levels, in turn, reducing the risk of heart diseases.
- However, for people with high cholesterol levels,
- It is vital to consult with your doctor before making any big changes in your diet.
The balancing of cholesterol levels also makes turkey suitable for patients with diabetes;
This is because turkey contains low amounts of sugar as well as lesser amounts of calories compared to other kinds of meat.
Research has shown that eating turkey helps to control diabetic symptoms.
Nonetheless, it is essential to consume small amounts of turkey.
- Turkey meat helps in weight loss, turkey contains low amounts of calories, and the best thing is that the meat makes you full for longer.
- Foods high in protein are a popular choice when it comes to weight loss.
- This is because staying full of healthy food such as turkey prevents craving and eating in between meals.
Turkey meat also contains many nutrients making it an ideal meal if you are looking to reduce the amount of food on your plate, turkey meat contains iron, potassium, vitamin Band C, riboflavin and thiamine.
- Reduces the risk of stress and depression, turkey meat contains tryptophan which stimulates the production of serotonin.
- Serotonin reduces moodiness, consequently preventing depression.
- Increases metabolism, which helps to keep you active and energized throughout the day, preventing weight loss.
- The presence of potassium in turkey plays a huge role in ensuring the body gains stamina, which in turn promotes a one’s activity level.
- Healthy skin, including turkey in your diet, improves your health not only in the inside but also on the outside,
- This is most evident from the glowing skin.
- The minerals and vitamins in the turkey boost skin appearance.
- Turkey boosts one immune system, increases muscle strength and stamina, promoting an overall healthy body.
Different Cooking Techniques
Turkey meat can be cooked using various methods, they include;
- Roasted turkey without stuffing.
- Roasted turkey with stuffing.
- Grilled turkey.
- An oven turkey and the microwave method.
The good thing about cooking a turkey is the versatility in the ingredients; you do not have to use the same ingredients passed down.
Try out new stuffing as well as marinade options. And remember turkey has natural oils so do not overdo it.
Safety measures when purchasing and preparing turkey breast.
For the best turkey consider buying meat from the local butcher or even the grocery store, ensuring you get fresh meat.
Before cooking meat, we tend to wash it, research has however shown washing meat spreads bacteria to the kitchen surface and utensils, which may lead to contamination of their foods in turn leading to food poisoning.
Instead, one is recommended to cook the meat thoroughly, also to prevent the bacteria from spreading have specific utensils for the raw meat.
Also, always wash your hands before and after handling the meat, it is advisable to wash your hands with soap and warm water.
Though low in calories, it is crucial to be cautious, and despite the many health benefits associated with turkey.
Eating turkey exclusively will not provide all the nutrients needed in the body. Consider including vegetables and carbs in your meals.
An excellent way to balance turkey is by making a turkey salad, a turkey salad provides the right amount of energy, while the vegetable will provide fiber which aids in the digestion of foods.
Interesting Facts About the Turkey
A male turkey has beards and turkey meat contains more proteins compared to chicken meat or beef.
Turkey can see in color but do not see clearly at night. A domesticated turkey weighs about 30 pounds in one and a half years after hatching.
With a healthy lifestyle, you are sure to maintain your weight, while still enjoy this delicious meal.
A 42-minute walk will help you burn about 152 calories, so do not be afraid you enjoy those turkey breasts.
Turkey breast meat is a nutritious meal, packed with nutrients to keep you healthy.
However, due to the high amount of proteins, if you notice any changes in your body, do not hesitate to seek medical advice.
- Is Sweet Potato Good for Weight Loss? 11 Amazing Benefits
- 3 Best Hand Sanitizer Holder in 2020
- How Long to Boil Sweet Potatoes? 3 Best Tips
- Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream: Uses and Side-effects
- 8 Ways to Get Rid Of Cottonmouth Quickly
- 14 Positive Facts on Coronavirus: Do you know?